Media filtration is the most efficient, cost effective and widely used method to reduce suspended solids. To ensure the highest possible suspended solids removal rates, a downflow design is of utmost importance and should be the primary design consideration, as there are many particle removal efficiency advantages over upflow designs.
The downflow, continuous moving bed design, which utilizes continuous air scour cleaning of the media, is the only media filter which enables true coarse to fine media stratification. This is required for maximum particle removal efficiency, with proven performance at installations worldwide.
The downflow design can utilize a minimum bed depth of only 40 inches, while maintaining filter bed integrity under higher flow conditions. Whether designed as a package or concrete format, Strata-Sand's gravity operation, combined with absolutely no moving parts, allows for fully automatic operation, minimum maintenance, increased reliability and lower capital costs. A properly designed downflow, continuous operation media filter can achieve less than 2% per year media loss, while producing minimal reject water volumes.
Typical Municipal Application Performance:
- Title 22 Approved
- Turbidity Removal > 90%
- Suspended Solids Removal > 90%
- Effective Particle Filtration 5 micron
- Algae Removal > 90%
- Giardia Cyst reduction > 3 log
- Crypto Oocyst reduction > 3 log
- Phosphorous Removal > 90%
- Denitrification, NO3-N < 1 ppm
- Arsenic particle filtration
- Seawater RO membrane pretreatment
- Brackish RO membrane pretreatment
- Packed bed ion exchange pretreatment
- Cooling tower makeup pretreatment
- Process water filtration
- Wastewater filtration